I have diabetes and this time of year is the toughest for me. It seems holiday treats/sweets are everywhere tempting me! Is it ok to indulge a little? If not, how can I build up enough will power to avoid holiday sweets?
Answer: This time of the year can tempt everyone to overindulge on sweets and other high fat foods. However, you don't have to deprive yourself from these since it's okay to consume them in moderation every now and then. A few tips to help you along the way:
- Pick up your exercise routine as this will help you burn off the excess calories and fat during this time
- Eat regularly, don't skip meals! You are more likely to overindulge if you skip a meal
- Balance your plate. Have a little bit of everything and you may have room for that tasty dessert!
- Be mindful. Eat just enough to satifisfy your craving
- Forgive and forget. If you overindulged, simply pick up your healthy diet again the next day